Sunday, July 3, 2011

Defining Distance Learning

Defining Distance Learning

Distance learning is continuously evolving, in my opinion. Now, if the previous statement is confirmed true, then the notion that the definition of distance learning is always changing should be validated as well. At first introduction to distance learning, I considered it to mean online classes (in education settings) or meetings/trainings (in professional settings) conducted through the use of technology, for individuals that were incapable of participating in that class or meeting in person. Over time and experiences, my personal definition of distance learning has evolved or changed.

Simonson, et al, expound, in great detail, various definitions of distance education, including components, such as the concept that distance education is institutionally based, has separation of the teacher and the student, incorporates interactive telecommunications, and lastly involves connecting learners, resources, and instructors. I would also push the notion further to say the definition of distance learning or education should incorporate time in some context. Whether from personal educational achievement or workplace performance, my experience or use of distance education was always shaped by the nature of its ability to factor in time, or shall I say time management.

Now, this evolving definition of distance learning or education can be contributed to several factors, such as, need, technology advancements, and learning environments. Through my studies, as a student at Walden University, the distance learning phenomena has included the components noted by Simonson, et al, but has effectively taken advantage of this learning experience by the flexibility in its use of time for non-traditional students, such as myself. In my professional setting, distance learning has become an integral service offering in response to time, cost effectiveness, and technology.
Distance learning or education is much more complex and possibly not quite easily definable with one set grouping of words. So, it is quite understandable how this phenomena can illicit such an array of definitions. When asked, in reference to changes in the definition of distance learning, “Do you think these changes are based on a person’s profession or by how much technical knowledge he/she has,” I would have to say both provide supportive context for “a definition”. Open learning shifts from mass production and mass consumption to a focus on focal and individual needs and requirements (Simonson, Smaldino, Albright, & Zvacek, p.35). Now, before becoming a Walden student, my only interaction with distance learning was limited to my professional context, which I might add, was limited to videoconferencing, conference calls, or webinars for conducting meetings or continuing education trainings for social service providers. My limitations or experience was directly reflective of my profession and technical knowledge. Now, as an online student, I am a distance learner, gaining knowledge and experience through an institution, but notably separated (physically) from my peers and instructors, using interactive technologies, and connected to other learners and resources.

Now, at the onset of a Master’s level class and discussion on Distance Learning, combining both professional and personal experience with distance learning, I anticipate my position or definition to continue to evolve. Incorporated below is my expounded definition, via mind map, of distance learning. Through this exercise, I might add, I was challenged by my own definition, and the influence this week’s resources (through my Distance Learning class) are having on me. Just as noted by Simonson, et al, my position may correlate with or reflect opposing opinion to that of others, but I welcome that discussion as well.






Reference:

Simonson, M., Smaldino, S., Albright, M., & Zvacek, S. (2009). Teaching and learning at a distance: Foundations of distance education (4th ed.) Boston, MA: Pearson.

No comments:

Post a Comment